Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Views from the Truck!

Phaedra here, folks: As you know the whole reason for us to be in Michigan at this time is for a wedding. Papa’s grandnephew, Jason, is getting married to Erin. I’ve never met either of them, but I am sure they are great people because they have two dogs! Can’t be bad if you like dogs, right?


So, off we went on Thursday heading north to Elk Rapids, which is close to Traverse City. That’s the area that Erin comes from and Mom and Dad are so excited to go back to a place where they used to ski and camp thirty-seven years ago. As soon as we got to our campground, WE were left alone. I know, I know, you’ve heard this before. But it keeps happening! This time they went to Erin’s home to meet her folks and break bread. They came back raving about how nice everyone was to them. Well, why not? Mom and Papa have two dogs, too. Zoe and ME!!! !


The next day dawned with bright sunshine and we got to go sightseeing! Friday, before the wedding, we went up a small arm of land that runs in the middle of Grand Traverse Bay. We saw vineyards, lighthouses, and crossed the 45th Parallel. That was cool. Mom said I was halfway between the equator and the North Pole. Zoe and I liked seeing the big lake and all the stones in the water. It's really different from Myrtle Beach. The sand has some pebbles in it, and there are these kind of biggish stones sitting in the water. If it hadn't been so cold, I would have gone swimming!


Then that afternoon there was a run-through of the wedding, (I don’t know where they ran because we weren’t invited, again.). Audrey, Papa’s niece/Jason’s mom, and the rest of her family had arrived for the luncheon and run-through. The place where the wedding is going to be is right at a marina with really cool boats in it. I got to see it from a distance. They didn't want Zoe or me to go with them for the run-through.


The next day, before the wedding, we traveled to up Petoskey along Grand Traverse Bay. Mom wanted to find a Petoskey Stone for her friend Deidre who always brings Maine stones to her. Mom looked and looked and couldn’t find any. I tried to sniff them out, but Zoe and I aren’t as good with our noses as our cousins Franklin and Bean – the beagles. Oh, well! We visited some beaches and saw a couple of lighthouses. We also went by tons of vineyards and apple orchards. Dad and Mom stopped at fruit stands along the way. Zoe loves the Honey Crisp Apples.


We got home and were really tired from walking in the sand and getting in and out of the truck to see the lighthouses. I'm going to sleep well tonight, but I don't think Papa is going to sleep very well. I think he's nervous about conducting the wedding tomorrow. Zoe tries to distract him by throwing him the ball over and over. I don't think it is really working, though. I'll tell you all about the wedding next!

No comments: