Friday, August 2, 2019

Alan's 50th Wedding Anniversary Reflections



 What???  Fifty Years Already?  Hard to Believe!

 

by Alan Parker

August 2, 2019





Memorial Day, 1967, Ralph a college friend, set up a “date” with his high school friend, Linda Susan Babcock. He told me that she  wanted to meet a nice Jewish boy!  I fit the bill, he said!

She had come home from Michigan State University and she brought her best college friend with her. We had her mother’s  famous strawberry shortcake which sealed the deal for me!  It was love at first bite. Oh!!! I mean love at first sight. Linda was the neatest, cutest and sexiest girl I had ever met. It took me a while to convince her that I was OK. 



It was 50 years ago today that this beautiful young lady said  “I do” and made me the happiest geek in the world. We are standing under a huppa that Linda’s Dad made. It was a great pleasure and honor for me to join her family. 






As we left the reception, I never dreamed what a wonderful adventure we would have before us.

Camping has been a huge part of our life and thanks go to Anne and Owen DuVall who convinced us to get camping equipment during our first year of marriage. We have camped all over the US, Canada, and Europe. How lucky we have been!

Living in Germany for 5 years was a fantastic experience and our wonderful daughter, Anne, was born in Frankfurt. Moving to Chapel Hill was a great choice and we both had successful careers. The best part has been the birth of our granddaughter, Parker. It’s exciting watching her grow up.

Since we retired in 2007, what a time we had as resident volunteers at Ding Darling NWR. Birds! Birds! Birds! We still have so many friends from everywhere we have been, and Sanibel friends are especially dear. Thanks to all of you for making all of these adventures wonderful and for keeping in touch with us.


When we left our wedding to start our journey, we did not know what was ahead. We are now starting another journey, and just like 50 years ago today, we don’t know what the future holds. The only thing we know for sure is that whatever happens, we will face it together. 


Thank you Linda, for being a fantastic partner, parent, friend, and love. I look forward to the years to come. 

Your guy,

Alan

No comments: