Sunday, July 20, 2008

Arches

Zoe here !!!
The rest of the time we were in Moab, Mom and Dad spent it at Arches National Park. It's quite a spread out park with a 17 mile drive through the park and a couple of 5 mile side roads to tour.
There are arches and red hoodoos plus huge cliffs all made of sandstone everywhere. The majesty of the park was similar to that of Zion though it was more spread out Mom and Dad said.

They did lots of hiking everyday. With temperatures close to 100, they tried to get up early to hike. "Course, those of you who know Mom really well know that Dad had his work cut out for him in a big way. Early, buy the way, meant getting up around 8-9 and off by 11:00 if he was lucky. she says she wants to get up early, but somehow crankiness gets the best of her she, also, says! The first day, they hiked to Landscape Arch, which is the widest arch in the park, plus other arches along the way. With Mom taking pictures, they sure took their time getting back.

The next day they saw the Delicate Arch which is the most well known arch. They only hiked up 1/2 mile to view it as the hike to the actual arch is 3 miles with steep trails and narrow ledges, Dad's favorite.

A favorite hike for them was at the Windows area which was a couple of miles viewing 5 different arches. After hiking up to the North Window Arch and viewing the landscape behind, they realized why it was called Window. They were able to see both Window Arches at the same time and ended by hiking to the Double Arch. They came home very excited.


Landscape itself throughout the park was beautiful! We know that first hand because they let us ride with them one evening after it cooled down to 88. After spending most of the time in the camper, it was nice to get out. We saw things like The Three Gossips and the Balanced Rock.




Everyone is looking forward to Wednesday because it's on to Rocky Moutain National Park and cool. We aren't looking forward to the 400 mile drive however. Phaedra will send more later during our 2 weeks in the Rockies. I hope it snows!

Oh, yeah, Phaedra had a bath today and she thinks she's "all that!" I'm still so much cuter even if I am sometimes called a monster dog. Maybe I'm a little devilish, too. We do have a very bad table that makes me want to bite it. Mom spanked the bad, bad table today. Perhaps I won't go near it for a while. It looked scary when the table was punished! I sure don't want that to happen to me. I'm really glad that I picked this family to grow up in, though. They love me so much and I love all 3 of them plus my friends Parker, Anne, and Dov. I wish they were back with me here!

It's Z saying adios, y'all!

No comments: