Tuesday, July 15, 2008

More Rocks--Capitol Reef


Zoe here: When I heard that we were going to a place called Capitol Reef, I said to Phaedra, "If you push me under the water again, you'll be sorry!" Well, where is the water? I've heard of the reef offshore from Cancun, the Great Barrier Reef, but there isn't any water here. Shouldn't Capitol Reef have water? Just rocks, rocks, and more rocks from horizon to horizon. We do have a really nice yard to play in that looks out over great big cliffs. I guess in the old days, these hundred mile long rock walls made it hard to get across just like an ocean reef. That's what the book says, anyway! No, I didn't read it, I heard it from my dad telling my mom why it's called Capitol Reef.

The folks were gone lots of mornings here. They said something about hiking when it wasn't so hot. They would come back in the afternoon and collapse. They, also, were always looking at the sky and murmuring about Flash Floods, whoever he is?? They loved this long road called Scenic Drive which was a 10 mile scenic road that ended in a 3 mile long, narrow dirt road which had all these signs saying road impassable to all vehicles when it rains. This was the Gorge Road. They went to the end and then hiked in for about a half hour until the sky got black and they decided to go back to the truck.

They also did a similar drive down another dirt road and did another hike of 3.5 miles to a place called "The Narrows". That was really cool.

There was this interesting writing on the canyon wall. It showed something called Petroglyphs. Those pictures looked like aliens to me. No one seems to be able to say what they mean, but they run across this big rock wall and look really cool, so my mom says! She loved the sheep and critters - not the aliens so much!

We only stayed there 3 nights then moved on to Moab.

Zoe, the wonder dog!

No comments: