Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hi From Virgin

"Zion Canyon is amazing and unbelievable," say Mom and Dad. To Zoe and me they just look like a bunch more rocks. The rocks are great big, though, and most of them are red.
What we like is that our campsite has grass and hummingbird wars. (You know who never gets to go much of anywhere with the folks.) Plus, the Virgin River runs right next to the campground and WE GOT TO GO SWIMMING in it. Finally, we have fun, too. Zoe didn't like how I pushed her under the water the first day, but then she decided if she wanted to be part of this family she better like water so she dived right in the next time we went. I loved it!!!


So, what have they done so far? Well, everyday they go up to the canyon via the canyon shuttle. Zion doesn't allow car traffic in the main scenic area so everyone parks at the Visitor Center or the little town at the gate, Springdale. Then they take free shuttles which Dad really thinks are cool with skylights that open. It does get hot in there, they complain. Hey, look, it's at least 102* every day and more sometimes so what can they expect in non-AC shuttles? I don't complain and I wear a beautiful fur coat every day - it's getting thinner, though, 'cause that Zoe jumps on me and pulls my hair!

Two times, Mom and Dad took a 10 mile bike ride down from the top at Temple of Sinewava to the very bottom. They really loved it - but don't let them brag about those 2 ten mile trips too much, especially since it was mostly down hill. Mom said she was going 26 miles an hour at one point and had to slow down to the car speed to make a curve. I am sure glad that she doesn't have a dog seat on the bike!

They actually go for walks without us! The audacity of it all. So far I've heard about the River Walk, Emerald Pools, Weeping Wall, Court of the Patriarchs, and a bunch of other places that I didn't get to see. At least I'm home in the nice, cool AC'd RV. They come back covered in red dust that rivals Zoe when we were at Monument Valley.

Mom had a birthday and they got to go for dinner at Zion Lodge. They said that every evening Mule Deer come out on the big, grassy lawn to graze and pose for pictures. They were there after the dinner and Mom was in Puppy Dog Heaven. She was really happy when she got back to see us, too.



We got to go on a road trip over the mountains to the other side of the park one evening. It was so cool. They had to stop traffic from the other side of the mile long, unlighted tunnel just so we could go through in the middle of the road. I still don't know why the folks got this monster truck that won't fit in places. They say they weren't the only reason that traffic was stopped, but I'm sure it was due to my presence. People like to pay attention to me, you know! And Zoe kept wanting to get out to see the erg rocks which are totally different from this side of the canyon. I think she really wanted to chase roadrunners - as if we saw any or she could catch one!

I think that they are having a really difficult time deciding which place they like the best so far. One thing they talked about (of course I listen!) is that they really feel a part of this place because it soars above them so high but is really narrow in the canyon part. Mom goes on about how "spiritual" a place this is and I just roll my eyes! I don't know what she is thinking anymore, but Dad just agrees with her! They're all rocks to me!

Sunday, we leave for Capitol Reef and then on to Moab after a couple of days. Going from hot to hotter, I hear. The campgrounds ought to advertise that "Hell is booked, but we've got heat too!" I think next time, we're going to lobby for a trip in the spring or fall instead of Summer in the Southwest!

"So long, pardners!" We all miss y'all.

Phaedra

No comments: